I am highly regarded in my music and arts administration endeavors as well as globally recognized for my innovative education expertise with an historically strong reputation for having an innovative servant leadership style, articulate problem-solving skills, and highly sensitive networking skills. I am a professional Musician, Workshop Facilitator, Presenter, Researcher, Administrator, Fundraiser, Grant Writer, Marketing Strategist, Instructor, Curriculum & Course Designer, and Consultant. I am a visionary who has combined 20+ years of experience in Music, Arts Administration, and Arts Education to create a strong understanding of the needs and challenges found in our arts organizations, communities, and schools. My primary areas of expertise include: Music, Composition, Performance, Music Education, Communication, Social Media, Virtual Education, Community Building, Networking, Event Planning, Donor and Volunteer Procurement and Management, Marketing Campaign Strategy, Speech Writing and Research, Public Relations, and Entrepreneurship.
- Arts Administration and Non-Profit Management Experience
- Curriculum Writer
- Virtual Classroom Instructor
- Marketing & Media Relations
- Donor and Volunteer Management
- Associate Music Faculty, Chorus, Drama, Band Teacher, Private Music Instructor
- Event Planner
- Communications, Writing, Public Relations
- Grant Writer
- Education Advocate
Most recent published book:
RootEd: How Trauma Impacts Learning and Society
Arts Administration Consultant
- Consulting with various organizations regarding their nonprofit needs and challenges. Various projects include marketing, public relations, donor and volunteer procurement and management, database management, professional artist recruitment, grant writing, presentations, event planning and fundraising.
Zelenz Consulting Group
- Grant writing services and consultation for over 100 organizations.
- Editing for various medical, academic, and independent authors for publication.
- Research and writing related to educational practices, methodologies, theories and practices. Presentations have included:
- Conference Presentations:
Alternative Education Resource Organization Conference
June 2010, Albany, NY
Title: Arizona’s Ethnic Studies Law (H.B. 2281): What are its implications for academic freedom and youth education in a multicultural, pluralistic America?
Workshop Facilitators: Don “Four Arrows” Jacobs, Brian J. Trautman, and Shella R. Zelenz (Fielding Graduate University)
Description: Addressing Arizona House Bill 2281, an act directed at the state’s ethnic studies programs. It was signed into law on May 11, 2010. The law prohibits ethnic studies classes in all K-12 public and charter schools, but specifically targets Latino, African American and Native American ethnic/cultural and linguistic heritage. We explained the law and examine its implications for academic freedom and youth education in Arizona and across the nation, including its threats to authentic critical thinking about history and the values of identity, tolerance, equality and justice in a multicultural, pluralistic American society.
Dissertation (in progress): "The Role of Indigenous Cultural Values and Epigenetics on School Reform" - Awarded the Social Innovation Award by Fielding Graduate University's program of Human and Organizational Development.
Music Teacher/Director - 20 years
Private Lessons (flute, voice, piano, private show choir, group piano) Public School Choir, Band, Show Choir, Jazz Choir, Jazz Band Community College music history and music theory Music Ministry Director I have prepped individuals who were preparing for recording contract work or sessions as requested by the producers Employers: Park Cities Music (2012), Texas Academy of Arts (2012-2013), Musika (2011), Kanata Music Academy, Canada (1996-1997), Centrepointe Music Academy, Canada (1996-1997), Coral Mountain Music/Shella Zelenz Music (my own company 1996- current), Rosebud Public School (2002-2003), Meadowbrook Middle School (2003-2004), Newark Junior High School (2004-2005), Eagles Peak Charter
School (2005-2006), Miles Community College (2002-2003), Mount San Jacinto College (2005-2009), First Presbyterian Church (2001-2003), Church of Christ (2001-2003), Country Homes Christian Church (1998- 2001), Northwest Bible Church (1993-1996), Church of Religious Science (2005-2009)
- Taught show choir, chamber, beginning and advanced chorus, jazz band, 7-12th grade band, guitar,
percussion classes, brass classes
- Multiple successful fundraisers, grant writing, and performances/competitions
- Started a brand-new arts programs in schools and private programs
- Took large groups of students on various trips/competitions
- Freelance performer
- ASCAP, ACDA, MENC member
- Songwriter/choral arranger/band arranger
- Maintain student account records, lesson reminders, newsletters, billing, and music ordering.
- Teach Music Fundamentals (beginning music theory)
- Teach American Music History online
- Teach Music Appreciation
- Class sizes ranging from 5-75 students
- Multiple performance venues including Poway Performing Arts Center, Disneyland, Magic
Mountain, Knott’s Berry Farm, San Diego Wild Animal Park, Bonita Vista Fantasy Festival, Heritage
Festival in San Francisco, and Travis Ranch Show Choir Competition
- Multiple Plays produced
- Taught online lessons
Zelenz Consulting Group CEO & Founder 2009 - Current
- Grant Writing Services for Non-Profit Organizations and NGOs.
- Consultation services that offer educational resources, Nonprofit management assistance, grant writing, fiscal accountability training, entrepreneurship training and publishing
Miles Community College Director of the Center for Academic Success 2009
- Grant writing
- Monitor and implement GED program as well as Americorp and other job training program oversight.
- Direct tutoring center activities and training for students and faculty.
- Marketing and research
- Provide training utilizing the online course programs to implement growth and success of the programs offered
- Raise retention rates at the college by providing student academic assistance and encouragement.
Mt. San Jacinto College Evening Administrator 2008-2009
- Responsible for ensuring all security processes were in order, monitored campus activities in the evenings and
weekends, facilitated faculty needs
Allegro Baroque & Beyond Administrative Director 1995-1996
- Managed all office procedures for a not-for-profit music performance organization.
- Developed, implemented and monitored a yearly strategic plan and budget which included resource
acquisition, program design, implementation, development, grant writing, and evaluation.
- Recruited, trained, coordinated, evaluated, and recognized volunteers, community leaders, board and committee members to achieve organizational objectives.
- Successful experience marketing and promoting agency goals and activities utilizing local media sources, public presentations, newsletters, advertising, and inter-agency relations.
- Proven ability in creating detailed operational updates and composing accurate periodic financial reports.
Virtual/Online Teaching Experience
Fielding Graduate University Virtual Cluster Leader 2010-2011
- Scheduled, uploaded presentations, and ran monthly cluster meetings for faculty and students located in various parts of the world for the Educational Leadership and Change program.
Mt. San Jacinto College Music Faculty 2005-2009
- Taught online American Music History
Lincoln Learning Management Curriculum Writer 2015
- Wrote Music Appreciation & History curriculum for online high schools
KC Distance Learning Curriculum Writer 2008
- Wrote Middle School and High School curriculum for online schools. I have also written freelance requested curriculum for other groups or organizations including homeschool groups, and private companies looking to sell their products.
Coral Mountain Music Teacher 1996-2014
- Taught private voice, piano and flute lessons utilizing Elluminate, Skype and other online platforms as well as in person private lessons and group classes.
California Virtual Academy K-8 Teacher (Education Specialist) 2006-2007
- Maintained student records for 28 students who took their classes online, including but not limited to, attendance records and report cards, assignment sheets, and met with parents quarterly to collect work samples. Provided assistance to parents who were homeschooling their children.
LMS Platforms utilized: Skype, Moodle, Elluminate, K-12 Proprietary, Angel, Webex, Blackboard, Second Life, LabSpace, and other platforms.
Media and Recording Software utilized: Garage Band, Sibelius, ProTools, Finale, Cakewalk, and iMovie
Social Media Platforms utilized: Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+, Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger, Twitter,AboutMe, Instagram, and others
Website Development Skills: HTML coding, WordPress (with plugins), GoDaddy hosting and website builder, FrontPage, and others
2007-2011 Fielding Graduate University Santa Barbara, CA
EdD in Educational Leadership & Change Teaching in the Virtual Classroom Certification
Media Studies concentration (ABD)
Teaching in the Virtual Classroom Certification – Basic Principles of Online Teaching, Strategies for Online Facilitation and Evaluation, Applied Project in Effective Online Teaching and Evaluation, Principles of Course and Curriculum Design for Online Learning, Strategies of Effective Course and Curriculum Design, and Applied Project in Effective Design of Online courses and Programs. EdD Educational Leadership and Change program, concentration area in Media Studies: Structural Inequality and Diversity, Systems Thinking, Action Oriented Research, Media Studies, Rethinking Schools and Organizations, Leadership and Change, and Dissertation in Process.
2002-2004 University of Phoenix Phoenix, AZ
MAED – Masters in Education
Elementary Art and Science of Teaching; Child and Adolescent Development; Models, Theories, and Instructional Strategies; Elementary Student Teaching Seminar I; The Diverse Classroom; Maintaining an
Effective Learning Climate; Curriculum Constructs and Assessment: Reading and Language Arts; Curriculum Constructs and Assessment: Science and Mathematics; Curriculum Constructs and Assessment: Social Studies and Fine Arts; Action Research; Student Teaching.
1998-2000 Eastern Washington University Cheney, WA
MA in Vocal Performance incomplete
Music History (20th Century and Baroque), Choral Arranging, Performance, Advanced Conducting, Concert Choir, Musical Theater Productions, Private Voice and Piano Lessons, Methods of Educational Research
1991-1995 Whitworth College Spokane, WA
BA in Arts Administration BA in Music BA in Music Education (completed through MAEd program)
Education courses, Music Education courses, Chemistry, Philosophy, Music History, Music Theory, Ear Training, Private Vocal, Piano, and Flute Lessons, Concert Choir, Psychology, Choral Arranging, Orchestration, Conducting, Opera Workshop, Accounting, Business Management, Comprehensive Computer courses, and various business courses.
BA in Music/Music Education
BA in Arts Administration
MA/MM Vocal Performance – incomplete
MAED – Masters in Education – Elementary
TVC – Teaching in the Virtual Classroom Certified
EdD – Educational Leadership & Change, concentration area – Media Studies (ABD - dissertation in progress)
Professional Memberships and Awards
Karl Forster Chor – Berln, DE
Alternative Education Resource Organization, Albany, NY
Casa Italiana Opera Company, Los Angeles, CA
Desert Repertory Theater, Rancho Mirage, CA
American Songwriters, Composers, Authors and Publishers - ASCAP
Temecula Valley Master Chorale, Temecula, CA
Bay Area Choral Harmonies, Oakland, CA
West Bay Opera, Palo Alto, CA
San Jose Symphonic Choir, San Jose, CA
California Opera Association, San Francisco, CA
American Choral Directors Association –ACDA
Music Educators National Conference – MENC
Ottawa Choral Society, (directed by Iwan Edwards and guest conducted by Trevor Pinnock – St. Matthew
Passion, National Arts Centre, 1996) Ottawa, ON, Canada
Bach Chorale (Gunther Schueller, Director), Bach Festival – Spokane, WA Spokane Allied Arts Festival,
Spokane, WA Sandpoint Music Festival (Gunther Schueller, Director), Sandpoint, ID
Spokane Symphony Chorale, Spokane, WA
Social Innovation Award - Fielding Graduate University Fielding Scholarship - multiple years
Most Outstanding Coordinator - CIEE
Virtual Cluster Leader - Fielding Graduate University
Award winning choirs - Magic Music Days, Travis Ranch Show Choir Competition, Great America Show Choir Competition, Bonita Vista Show Choir Competition (adjudicated by Kirby Shaw)
Vocal Scholarship - Whitworth University
Forensic Team Scholarship - Whitworth University